Telling the story of the power of events
In 2017 the attention of the world’s governments and global business will turn to tourism to understand how tourism can be used to create positive social, economic and environmental impacts in the world, as the United Nations celebrates the year of Sustainable Tourism for Development.
Just telling the story of existing, inspiring examples of events which have a positive impact is nice…..but we think the imagination, passion and creative nature of the event industry is such that we can achieve more than storytelling so we have created some huge goals for 2017 including:
- 20,000 event professionals being educated in sustainability best practice
- Over 2 million event professionals sharing their best practice
- Over 1,000 people being in action as ambassadors for sustainability in the event industry
- Creating a piece of research suitable for global government level
- Showcasing at least 10 projects which demonstrate the event industry addressing challenges like climate change and the refugee crisis.
It is impossible for the team at Positive Impact to reach these goals alone (which is sort of the point because if we could deliver them it wouldn’t create much positive global change across the event industry). Our role will be to work with partners around the world, track actions being taken and communicate with the UN Year of Sustainable Tourism team. Of course we are looking for funding and sponsorship for this initiative but we are also keen to create partnerships for action and recognise great work already being done. For example our goal is to find a sponsor to create basic education which can be shared across groups of event professionals. So if you would like to sponsor OR if you would like to get your community of event professionals involved OR if you are already involved in an initiative like this, then please let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org).