2nd International Western Silk Road Workshop
UNWTO Silk Road Programme
Type of institution
Inclusive and sustainable economic growth
Lines of actions
Type of activity
Capacity building, workshops, training courses and curricula development
Estimated outreach/impact of your activity
Development of strategies and practical approach of Western Silk Road tourism development, participative approach on the framework and structure of the Western Silk Road Working Group and the Western Silk Road governance.
Building on success of the 1st workshop in Alexandroupoli, Greece, UNWTO and the Ministry of Tourism of Bulgaria organise the 2nd International Western Silk Road Workshop in cooperation and with the support of the European Commission.
The 2nd International Western Silk Road Workshop will take place in Sofia, Bulgaria on 27-28 June 2017. The workshop will be held as part of the overarching Western Silk Road Tourism Development Initiative aimed at revitalising the Silk Road heritage located throughout Europe, within the framework of the cooperation between UNWTO and the Directorate-General for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs (DG GROW) of the European Commission (EC).
By bringing together key stakeholders from public and private tourism sectors from Silk Road Member States, European Union Member States and COSME programme beneficiaries, the workshop will be the second step of a project aimed at developing capacity building and destination management along the Western Silk Road.
The workshop will focus on the following key areas:
- Know-how on how to effectively implement joint activities under the umbrella of the Western Silk Road Tourism Development Initiative
- The development of preliminary capacity building standards and guidelines
- Assess the tourism potential of identified areas, sites, corridors and products
- Sustainable tourism practices
- By actively attending, invitees will be able to contribute to the strategic implementation of the project, present their ideas and interests and network with a wide range of stakeholders with similar interests