G GUIDES Green Global Great.
2017-02-02 11:00 - 15:00
Ljubljana Exibition and Congress center
Type of institution
Lines of actions
Knowledge creation and dissemination
Type of activity
Events, meetings and conferences
Estimated outreach/impact of your activity
Raising awarness about the responsibility of tourist guides, promotion of conduct for sustainable tourist guides, sharing of knowledge and ideas.
General public, Specific groups (e.g. Youth, Women and disadvantaged groups), Private sector, International bodies, Academia
Tourist guides are cultural brokers, educators, promoters, teachers and ambassadors of destinations. Tourist guides from around the globe are going to discuss, how we can participate and contribute in sustainable tourism for development.
Key notes to be discussed on the meeting:
1. From sightseeing to life experience – people no longer travel to see buildings, they want to experience culture
2. Guides can build bridges between cultures – good interpretation of the culture is reducing fear and connecting worlds, people and cultures
3. Guides are cultural ambassadors – impressions of the destination and culture rely heavily on the interpretation of the guides
4. Guides play central role in sustainable development of the destinations – guides have a strong impact on the choices so they can communicate and promote sustainable consumption
5. The best guide will educate people by creating unforgettable experiences – by involving tourists in the cultural experience, a good guide can help people understand cultural differences and explore further
6. The responsibility of the guide is to connect tourists and locals – arriving as a tourist and leaving as a local can help this world be a better place for all
…And good tourist guides are able to make this world a better place.
The event take place on Ljubljana Exibition and congress center (Gospodarsko razstavišče, Dunajska cesta 18, Ljubljana, Slovenia), during the most important tourism fair in Ljubljana – Alpe Adria, on the 2nd of February at 11.00.
After the official meeting, we will invite you all to meet and greet colleagues from around the world and to share ideas, connect and celebrate the International year of sustainable tourism for development in Ljubljana.
*G-GUIDES is a group of green, global and great tourist guides, tour directors and tour managers, who are aware of the responsibility they have while conducting their job. They are cultural brokers, sustainability communicators, unforgettable experience creators, educators and ambassadors of sustainable tourism for all.