Memorial Symposium on the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development
Okayama City and Mie Prefecture, Japan
Government of Japan
Type of institution
Okayama City and Mie Prefecture
Cultural values, diversity and heritage
Lines of actions
Type of activity
Events, meetings and conferences
Estimated outreach/impact of your activity
Okayama City :About 300 people / Mie Prefecture: About 200 people
Memorial Symposium on the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development[General Schedule] Okayama Meeting: 15 to 17 October 2017
Mie Meeting: 17 to 19 October 2017 [General Theme] Contributing to the future through the development of sustainable tourism [Okayama Meeting] Date: October 15 (Sun) to 17 (Tue) 2017
Venue: Okayama Convention Center, Okayama City, Okayama Prefecture, Japan
Host: Japan Tourism Agency, Okayama City
Support: World Tourism Organization
Theme: Toward a tourism model that integrates heritage, nature and people
Background: In particular among the tourism resources in local communities, heritage, including the areas surrounding it, is being opened up to tourists and utilized and capitalized on. Therefore, we will discuss in what kind of ways it can be capitalized on as a space that can be put to various uses in years to come. Furthermore, our history of reconciling tourism and disaster prevention in the midst of reconstruction and resurrection from the disasters of past wars and frequent natural disasters will give hope to disaster-stricken countries and regions, and we will share model examples among the participating countries and regions with respect also to the viewpoint of reconstruction and tourism.
October 15 (Sun)
19:00 Reception held by Okayama City
October 16 (Mon)
09:00 Technical visit for Session I
13:00 Opening Session
13:15 Keynote speech I (UNWTO)
Keynote speech II (Mayor of Okayama City)
14:10 Session I “Capitalizing on historical and cultural heritage and town development”
– Introduce and share examples of town development through capitalization on historical heritage and cultural heritage (including urban heritage in reconstruction and redevelopment).
15:05 Coffee break
15:30 Session II “Coexistence between nature and citizens and tourists”
– Introduce and share examples of what roles tourism plays with regard to local culture nurtured in the midst the of interactions between communities with nature, and about how coexistence with local communities is being aimed for.
16:45 Session III “Sustainable development of tourism and the future of local communities”
– Introduce and share examples of sustainable development that are vitalizing local communities through initiatives to spread it to the entire community and capitalization on tourism resources.
19:00 Reception held by Japan Tourism Agency
October 17 (Tue)
09:00 Technical visit on Session II & III
11:35 Lunch hosted by Okayama City
Afternoon: Transportation to Mie [Mie Meeting] Date: October 17 (Tue) to 19 (Thu) 2017
Venue: Toba Hotel International, Toba City, Mie Prefecture, Japan
Host: Japan Tourism Agency, Mie Prefecture
Support: World Tourism Organization
Theme: Women’s roles in the sustainable development of the tourist industry
Background: In industries related to tourism, many women are playing active roles and the roles of women are becoming more important. At the G7 2016 Ise-Shima Summit, “women” was one of the themes, and women’s empowerment was discussed, including education, the promotion of women’s participation, etc. Discuss matters regarding the roles of women and of a diversity of human resources in sustainable tourism promotion, and share domestic and overseas model cases among participating countries/regions.
October 17 (Tue)
19:00 Reception held by Mie Prefecture
October 18 (Wed)
10:00 Opening ceremony
10:20 Keynote speech（UNWTO）
11:05 Session I “A society in which women play active roles in tourism (Case studies in the tourism industry)”
– Through case studies in which women play active roles in domestic and overseas tourism industries, share ideas about tourism and women’s roles. In this session, the focus will be on women who play central roles in the tourism industry.
13:30 Special session “Presentations by representatives of the ASEAN Youth Summit ”
– Get suggestive comments for promoting demand for tourism through presentations about how to catch hold of tourism, its relationship with work, etc. from the viewpoint of young people.
14:00 Session II “A society in which women play active roles in tourism (Case studies surrounding Tourism, including activities to contribute to local culture and nature conservation)”
– Through case studies in which women play active roles in domestic and overseas tourism industries, share ideas about tourism and women’s roles. In this session, focus on case studies in which women are also involved in the conservation/use of local nature and culture.
15:10 Coffee break
15:40 Session III “Sustainable tourism and the creation of tourist destination where women are indispensable”
– Together with summing up the roles in tourism that women have played, think about what kind of travel will be people-friendly, focusing on barrier-freeness in addition to the creation of tourist spots from the perspective of women and the promotion of women’s participation in travel.
19:00 Reception held by the Japan Tourism Agency
October 19 (Thu)
09:00 Technical visit on Session I, II and III
11:35 Lunch hosted by Mie Prefecture