Green Tourism Certification Programme
How accreditation and grading works – All our members are on a green journey, with Green Tourism at their side. Their achievements are reflected in the grading level they display – Bronze, Silver or Gold.
Our approachable, highly-qualified advisors are on hand to provide expert knowledge and guidance to all Green Tourism members, so they can progress on this journey. Guidance covers all aspects of sustainability, from energy and water efficiency, waste management and biodiversity to social and ethical choices.
Our advisors visit each member every two years to assess them against a range of criteria relevant to their business type, and award a grading as follows.
Bronze – Committed, Good
- Some ethical or green purchasing such as fair trade coffee and local sourcing;
- Low energy lighting in most areas and good general recycling;
- Promotes local public transport or car-free activities such as walking and cycling;
- Has a green co-ordinator working to reduce impacts in all key areas.
Silver – Progressive, Excellent
- Shares its values in going green to both staff and customers;
- Significant use of recycled products as well as recycling to close the loop;
- Sources supplies from ethical and/or local area extensively and is working to green its whole supply chain;
- Energy and water efficiency are key issues. Evidence of heating and lighting changes to become more efficient;
- Monitoring of resource use such as energy, water and waste is helping to deliver significant changes.
Gold – Inspirational, Outstanding
- Achieving the highest standards of sustainability with a strong, broad ethos and excellent practices throughout;
- Uses the latest technologies, from LED lighting to efficient boilers and renewables;
- Efficient control of resource use and can demonstrate effective monitoring with targets for savings;
- Green procurement includes sustainable fish/meat sources, a range of ethical products and working with local suppliers to provide fresh, local and often organic items;
- Changes in working practices, bringing significant benefits to the business, community and supply chain.