Sustainable Development Goals, Tourism and the IY
Tourism has enriched the lives of many. It has contributed to their growth and welfare in their environments. Working in line with the Sustainable Development goals, Tourism has greatly improved and is being conserved for future contribution to the economy.
These Goals have created a vision for transformation; we can imagine a world where Tourism can bring Universal Peace and Growth. The key focus being Sustainability which by definition means. Sustainable tourism is defined as “tourism that respects both local people and the traveler, cultural heritage and the environment”.
The sustainable development goals feature tourism in goal 8, 12 and 14:
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all Tourism is one of the driving forces of global economic growth and currently provides for 1 in 11 jobs worldwide
- Ensure sustainable consumption and PRODUCTION “Develop and implement tools to monitor sustainable development impacts for sustainable tourism which creates jobs, promotes local culture and products”. The Sustainable Tourism Programme (STP) of the 10-Year Framework of Programmes on Sustainable Consumption and Production Patterns (10YFP) aims at developing such SCP
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development Tourism development must be a part of Integrated Coastal Zone Management in order to help conserve and preserve fragile marine ecosystems and serve as a vehicle to promote a blue economy, in line with Target
Yet with its wide reach and cross cutting nature tourism can in fact contribute to all 17 SDGs – empowering women, fighting climate change or alleviating poverty in many communities around the world.
In the context of the universal 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the International Year aims to support a change in policies, business practices and consumer behavior towards a more sustainable tourism sector than can contribute to the SDGs.
The #IY2017 will promote tourism’s role in the following five key areas:
1. Inclusive and sustainable economic growth
2. Social inclusiveness, employment and poverty reduction
3. Resource efficiency, environmental protection and climate change
4. Cultural values, diversity and heritage
5. Mutual understanding, peace and security